The course is aimed at anyone who is interested. Once you have completed this course, you will look at the stone differently and you will know its properties. You will know how to technically achieve your goal. This course is also suitable for those who are looking for a job in a stone profession.
The effective and material-appropriate work on the stone requires profound knowledge of its properties. You will learn how to reach the goal you have set yourself safely and efficiently with the right choice and use of hand tools. By practising on a block of local Cristallina marble you will develop your skills and techniques each step of the way. Also requiring practice, is the sensible use of hand machines. Any reservations you may have on using these can be overcome on two ‘machine days’.
Other focal points:
- Accident prevention
- The maintenance of tools and machineryThe forging and hardening of your own punches and pitching tools
- The forging and hardening of your own punches and pitching tools
- The lifting and moving of heavy stones with simple tools
In the theory lessons you will learn more about the history of the stone’s origin, how the stone is extracted from the quarry, and the manual processing of the natural stone. This will be supported by written documentation.
When you visit the marble quarry at the foot of Pizzo Castello, you will discover traces of the historical development of quarrying this natural stone.
- Der Steinmetz und Steinbildhauer, Ausbildung und Praxis, Verlag Callwey, ISBN 3-7667-1145-8
- Der Steinmetz und Steinbildhauer 2, Die Arbeit am Stein, Verlag Callwey, ISBN 3-7667-1330-2
- Geologie der Schweiz, Toni P. Labhart, Ott Verlag, ISBN 3-7225-6298-8,
- Sitterkiesel, von Urs Hochuli und Oskar Keller, ISBN 3-7291-1095-0
- Geodynamik und Plattentektonik, Spektrum Akademischer Verlag, ISBN 3-86025-373-5
- Restaurierung von Steindenkmälern, Verlag Callwey, ISBN 3-7667-0537-7
The course language is German.